The ABC bakers had interesting challenge this month. Bake a gluten free brownie without butter. Mission impossible, you say? Not so much.
These delicious gluten free brownies were baked about a month ago for the Pi(e) Day celebration at work. I baked the batter in a 9" Pyrex pie pan and so the "Brownie Pie' was born :o)
If you'd like to join the ABC bakers in their monthly baking adventures, please go to the ABC blog for more information.
Some step-by-step pictures:
|Easy and convenient|
|I call this Quality Control :o)|
|Yummy slice of Brownie Pie. Bon Appetit!|
- Hubby liked these brownies, but found them a bit too chocolatey. He still gave them an 8 out of 10 rating.
- I was pleasantly surprised about the itnense chocolate flavor in these brownies. The almond meal worked well.
- The texture was great. It was somewhere between fudgy and chewy.
- I was short about 25 gr of almond meal, so I quickly ground up some toasted almonds in my spice grinder.
- The only changes I made were to bake this in a 9" Pyrex pie pan, and to add 1/2 Tablespoon of espresso powder to the batter. I also decorated the top with sliced almonds.
- The recipe specifically called out to use natural cocoa powder for best chocolate flavor. Since I have Dutch cocoa only (brought back with me from the homeland), I used that. It worked really well. I didn't notice any degradation in chocolate flavor.
- My brownies took about 40 minutes to bake. I was getting worried that the (thinly) sliced almonds on top might burn, but they were fine.
- Will definitely bake these again. You can find the recipe HERE.
- Don't forget to check out the other ABC bakers.