Hubby doesn't like sour things. So I knew he wouldn't like the fresh cranberries in this recipe, so I split up the cake in two: one half with cranberries for yours truly, and one half with thinly sliced Gala apples.
|Cranberry-Apple Upside Down Cake. Why choose when you can have both? :o)|
I cut the recipe in half and baked it in a 6" pan.
Some step-by-step pictures:
|Half-n-half (left the peel on the apples)|
- Hubby liked this cake a lot. He thought it was a touch on the sweet side, so I explained how it's formulated to go with sour cranberries, not apples. He gave it a 9 out of 10 rating.
- I loved this cake, but then again, I haven't met a butter/sour cream based Rose cake that I didn't like :) So soft, tender, and moist, with so much flavor.
- I didn't have much time so I skipped the glaze and the creamy topping. I didn't really miss it, to be honest.
- My changes:
- Substituted the lemon zest and juice, with orange zest and apple juice.
- Added orange zest to the cake batter.
- Substituted one tablespoon of butter with canola oil.