|A slice of pumpkin-y heavy!|
This ABC post is waaaaay too late, but I just couldn't get myself to skip it all together, especially after the rave reviews from the other ABC bakers. The November recipe for the ABC bakers was the Velvety Pumpkin Tart. This recipe couldn't be easier and it comes together in a flash, especially if you have all the ingredients at home (which to me are all staple items). As you know, this recipe can be found in The Weekend Baker. I also found it posted online by a Bay Area newspaper here. Note: they adapted the recipe by adding crystallized ginger to the crust.
Announcement: the ABC bakers will be baking from www.KingArthurFlour.com in 2013. If you'd like to join us, please email me at HanaasKitchen [at] live [dot] com.
The crust couldn't be easier. Just pulverize some gingersnap cookies in your food processor, add sugar and melted butter. I used a gingersnap cookie called Kruidnoten which I brought back with me from Holland. After you press the moistened crumbs into your tart pan, you bake it for about 10 min in a 350F oven.
In the meantime, the pumpkin filling is made. It's a cross between a pumpkin pie and a pumpkin cheese. Not too dense and not to rich, just smooth and creamy with the right amount of spice.
- My husband liked it very much. He gave it a 9 out of 10 rating.
- I really liked the contrast of the crunchy crust against the smooth and creamy filling. I thought it would taste like a cheesecake but it didn't. It's not as rich (in a good way). The spice blend was just perfect.
- I really liked how fast this recipe came together (granted I had all the ingredients in the house). I will definitely make this again.
- In some places, the crust was a little brittle (mainly at the very top). I might add a little bit more butter (1 more Tbsp) to the crumbs next time to get a more cohesive crust that holds together better.
- Changes: I reduced the brown sugar in the filling to 135 gr (4.75 oz).
- Don't forget to check out the Pumpkin Tart posts of other ABC bakers.
- An adaptation of this recipe can be found here.