Because of the brown sugar in the recipe, I thought the ice cream would pair well with the honey caramel glaze we made for the Bee Stings a while back. Then I decided to make ice cream sandwiches. I still had a log of Chocolate Chip Cookie dough with Toasted Almonds in the freezer. So the idea came to add toasted almonds to the ice cream as well. And since I was going to take these sandwiches with us to a friend's house, I figured let's mix things up and make some sandwiches with Chocolate Chip cookies and some with Double Chocolate Cherry cookies.
- Hubby and I loved the ice cream. Although I didn't eat much of it (not a big ice cream person), I did like it a lot. Hubby enjoyed it a lot and said "I wish you hadn't made just half the recipe". His rating: 8 out of 10. Will definitely make this again.
- I skipped the vanilla bean because I cut the recipe in half.
- Instead of skim milk, I used half & half (aka, light cream).
- I didn't follow the instructions exactly. Instead of using the double boiler method, I made the ice cream batter using the "pastry cream" method. Meaning, boil the cream mixture, combine the egg yolks and sugar and slowly add the hot cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture, to temper the egg yolks. Then return the mixture to the pan and heat until it reaches 180 degrees.
- You can find the recipe here. A big thanks to Karen for choosing this recipe. I had fun making it and even more fun sharing it with my hubby and friends.
- Don't forget to check out other SMS bakers to see how they liked this recipe.