This week's SMS recipe, Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies, was chosen by Megan from My Baking Adventures. Chocolate and dried fruit... what's not to love? Thanks for choosing this recipe, Megan!! Check out the recipe for these yummy cookies here.
Unfortunately, I didn't have any dried cherries so I substituted craisins (sweetened dried cranberries). As the name implies, they're dried and therefore have a tendency to absorb moisture. In this case, steal moisture from the cookie. To prevent this, I like to soak dried fruit in a little bit of hot water or juice. Today, I soaked the craisins in a mixture of hot water and orange juice. This process will also help prevent the craisins from drying out in the oven.
The other change I made is reduce the baking soda and add baking powder. I find that too much baking soda leaves an off-flavor in baked goods. The last change I made is use semi-sweet chocolate chips as well as white chocolate chips (50/50) because I like cranberries and white chocolate. These were "real" white chocolate chips by Callebaut, meaning they contain cocoa butter, not some vegetable oil.
- Hubby and I liked the cookies, but I liked them a bit more than he did. Hubby found the cookie to be a bit too chocolaty. He also would have liked more craisins. His rating: 7.5 out of 10. I enjoyed the cookie a lot. Chocolaty goodness with a crispy edge, chewy craisins and a soft center. I ate the cookies about 1.5 hours after they came out of the oven. The chocolate chips were still melty and delicious.
- I baked a dozen cookies and froze the second log for another time.
- Baking time: 6 minutes, turn cookie sheet 180 degrees, 7 more minutes.
- Modified leavening: 3/4 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- Always plump up your dried fruit before adding them to your dough or batter to prevent them from stealing moisture from your baked goods.
- I remembered to use an empty paper towel roll this time. This kept the log of dough nice and round.
- Don't forget to check out the blogroll and see how other SMS bakers liked this cookie.