|Light and fluffy texture!|
I made only half the recipe which yielded one loaf, just in case it didn't turn out. All the ingredients went into the bread machine. I ran the Dough Cycle (a 90-min program) without any issues.
After shaping the dough into a loaf, it went into its second rise, followed by a 35 min bake in the oven. Lovely bread!
What struck me as strange was that, although I used less molasses, my bread turned out darker than the one on the KAF website. Maybe my rye flour was darker than theirs. When I bought mine at a local co-op, the bulk bin only said "organic rye flour".
|I love homemade bread. Don't you?|
- Wonderful bread. Soft, light and fluffy with only a hint of molasses. Made great sandwiches. Leftover bread was sliced and frozen without any issues.
- Hubby loved this bread too.
- Next time I'll try to incorporate some WW flour into the mix. With only a third whole-grains (from the rye flour), I don't feel the bread is "healthy" enough. Don't let that dark color fool you :o)
- The original recipe can be found HERE. Please see my modified version below.
Light Rye Bread
(adapted from King Arthur Flour)
- 6 1/2 oz unbleached all-purpose flour (or 3 oz whole wheat flour + 3 1/2 oz unbleached all-purpose flour)
- 2 1/2 oz unbleached bread flour
- 3 3/4 oz organic rye flour
- 1/2 oz brown sugar
- 5 gr sea salt
- 3/4 oz vegetable oil
- 3/4 oz molasses
- 1/2 oz honey
- 1/2 oz non-fat dry milk powder
- 9 oz lukewarm water (plus 1-2 Tbsp, if necessary)
- 10 gr Vital Wheat Gluten
- 25 gr ground dark flax seeds
- 4 gr instant yeast (1 1/4 tsp)
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl of your bread machine.
- Run the Dough Cycle (a 90-minute program) which includes the first rise.
- Shape the dough into a loaf and put it into an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.
- Let it rise for 50 min.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F before the bread has finished its second rise (I used convection mode).
- Spray the loaf with water.
- After putting the bread into the oven, reduce the temperature to 335 F (I used convection mode), and bake for 35 min.