|Clockwise starting at the upper left corner: Cinnamon-Sugar, Sea Salt, Cinnamon-Sugar, Poppy Seed/Sea Salt|
A survey among the ABC bakers, resulted in the following... In the year 2014, we'll continue to bake from the King Arthur Flour website! The 2013 KAF recipes were such a big hit, that we'd like to continue the KAF fun for one more year. So, if you are a KAF fan or just like to bake (and don't want to purchase a book), come join us! :o)
If you'd like to join the ABC bakers in their monthly baking adventures, please go to the ABC blog for more information.
The dough for these pretzels is really simple: flour, salt, sugar, yeast, and water. I replaced a 1/4 of the flour with KAF's White Whole Wheat flour (increased the water amount by 1 oz), and added 25 gr of ground golden flax seeds. Into the bread machine they went until the Dough cycle was completely finished (this includes the first rise because I didn't want to dirty a plastic bag or yet another bowl for the first rise).
Considering how sticky the dough was, I was surprised that after its first rise, the dough was very manageable. I divvied up the dough into 8 pieces and shaped my pretzels. It was really handy to have step-by-step pictures on the KAF blog to follow for this. Each pretzel bathed in the baking soda water for 2 minutes.
After a quick rest, they went into a hot oven for 8 minutes.
|Soft and chewy interior. Bon appetit!|
- I had fun making these pretzels. Unfortunately, the somewhat dense and chewy interior didn't quite work for me. They tasted OK, but I would have preferred the exterior to be a bit more crisp. I also didn't like the pale look of my pretzels. The pictures on the KAF blog and website looked much more golden brown.
- Hubby and I shared two warm pretzels (one savory and one sweet). He felt the same way about them. He gave them a 7 out of 10 rating.
- I froze the leftovers. I'm sure they'd be fine toasted with a cup of soup.
- My changes: replace 1/4 of the flour with KAF White WW flour, add 1 oz water, reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp (since there will be more sprinkled on top), add 25 gr of ground flax seeds.
- You can find the original recipe HERE.
- Don't forget to check out what the ABC bakers thought of this recipe.