This month's ABC project was not only fun but also very delicious. The Overnight Brioche Braid from The Weekend Baker was a big hit, not only with me but with many of the ABC bakers. My twist on the recipe was to add a generous amount of orange zest and some freshly ground cardamom to the dough. The aroma is so tantalizing that it makes your mouth water before you even put a bite in your mouth.
If you would like to join the ABC baking club, please email me at HanaasKitchen [at] live [dot] com. You can find more info about our baking club on the ABC blog.
I put all the ingredients in the bread machine and ran the dough cycle. The dough remained soft and sticky but I resisted adding more flour.
After the first rise, I divided the dough into 3 portions and made 3 braids, so I can bake it in 3 small loaf pans (and give one away). I find you get the prettiest braids if you start braiding from the middle, not the end.
Right before baking, I brushed the loaves with an egg wash and sprinkled sliced almonds on top.
|Look at that yummy soft texture. Bon appetit!|
- Hubby and I loved this brioche. It was even better (and more aromatic) the next day. Hubby really loved the smell and soft texture. He gave it a "good 9" out of 10 rating.
- The brioche was light, soft and tender. And the orange zest and cardamom were a great addition to give it that something extra. I also liked the crunch from the almond slices on top.
- Additions to the recipe: zest of 2 medium oranges, rubbed into the sugar in the recipe. Remove seeds from 12 cardamom pods and grind in coffee grinder with 1 Tbsp of golden flax seeds. Measure 1-1/2 tsp baking powder and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Substitutions: used all bread flour instead of AP flour, used 1% milk instead of whole milk. Used 4 Tbsp (2 oz) unsalted butter and 1 oz of vegetable oil instead of 1 stick (4 oz) of butter.
- Oven temp changes: after baking the loaves for 10 minutes, reduced the heat to 375F.
- If you would like to see what the other ABC bakers thought of this recipe, check out the ABC blog roll.