This month's recipe for the Avid Baker's Challenge are the Overnight Cinnamon Buns. I had the pleasure of baking these rolls with my friend and talented baker & blogger, Karen of Bake My Day. We baked these buns together (without the "overnight" step) and she also brought a starter for a Garlic Bread she had blogged about recently. You can find her post (+ recipe) on the Garlic Bread here (be prepared to drool if you like caramelized garlic - I know I did) :o)
|Overnight Cinnamon Buns|
If you'd like to join the ABC bakers and bake along with us from Flo Braker's book, Baking for all
Occasions, please email me. My email address can be found in my blog profile. Thanks! :o)
The dough was initially pretty runny but both Karen and I agreed to only add 1-2 Tbsp of flour, fearing that the dough would be dense otherwise. The dough itself smells great. It has small specks of orange zest in it. The filling with its (dark) brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, had a wonderful aroma too.
|What a rise, huh!!|
|Lots of melted butter|
|Dark brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves|
|I believe that using floss gives you the neatest slices. Here you see Karen giving it a try. She too liked it a lot!|
|These took 30 minutes in my oven|
|Look at that soft and tender interior. Bon appetit!|
- I'm sure the "overnight" step is a great way to make these rolls ahead of time, but I'm glad it worked the "normal" way too.
- I forgot about the nuts in the filling so I sprinkled some chopped toasted almonds on top of the icing which worked great too (I'm allergic to macademia nuts so I subbed an equal amount of almonds - by weight).
- My mom and I loved these rolls. They're tender, soft, sweet (but not too sweet), nutty, spicy, with a hint of orange. Really really good! I put the leftovers in the freezer.
- Lowered the baking temperature to about 360 F or so (400 F sounded too high to me).
- Changes: no nuts in the filling (instead I sprinkled them on top of the icing), used dark brown sugar in the filling instead of light brown sugar, and used just a pinch of ground cloves instead of the required amount.
- Check out what the other ABC bakers thought about this recipe: ABC blog roll.