The batter comes together quickly, although I deviated a little bit from the directions and beat the sugar and eggs until pale and fluffy, and only then slowly drizzled in the oil to emulsify the egg mixture. Then add carrots and the dry ingredients, and pop it in the oven. Since I only made half the recipe, I ended up making one 8" round cake and one cupcake. I frosted the cake with White Chocolate Mousse which went really well with the carrot cake.
A big thanks to Julie for picking another SMS winner. If you'd like the recipe, you can find it HERE.
- Everybody who tried this cake, love it. It was moist and tender, with great flavor from the spices I added and the zest. The zest of 1/2 orange gave it a subtle citrus flavor. Next time I would increase that to the zest of 1 whole orange.
- I substituted 25% of the sugar with dark brown sugar because that's the ratio in my favorite carrot cake.
- Since this is already a "healthy" cake, given that it has carrots in it, I added 2-3 Tbsp of wheat bran. Unlike whole wheat flour, wheat bran doesn't make baked goods dense or turn them into doorknobs.
- I omitted the walnuts because I'm allergic to walnuts.
- Instead of the specified amount of cinnamon (1.5 Tbsp for the entire batch), I used 1 tsp of ground cinnamon, and a dash of freshly ground nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and ginger.
- Don't forget to check out the other SMS bakers.