We're starting 2016 with a new recipe source: WeekendBakery.com. I couldn't be more excited about that. I've baked recipes from this blog before with great results and I'm certain you will too.
The first ABC recipe of the year is: Homemade Rondo's. This is a traditional Dutch pastry consisting of a buttery crust with a sweet almond filling that gets its slight tang from the citrus zest. I love how Rondo's are decorated with a whole almond on top. I grew up on these cookies. I usually got them from the grocery store. Sometimes I'd splurge and buy them from a fancy bakery, eating them slightly warm. Yum! I have to admit that these homemade Rondo's are another step above that.
|Homemade Dutch almond pastries called Rondo's|
ABC blog for more information.
|Instead of rolling out the dough, I used my tart shaper/tamper.|
|Push dough against the muffin pan sides.|
|Each ball of dough weighs 35 grams.|
|A fresh raspberry inside each Rondo for a little surprise :)|
|Golden brown deliciousness|
|See the raspberry? :)|
|The last one didn't have a raspberry, but it's just as yummy! Bon Appetit!|
- Hubby tasted his "half" of the cookie on the day I baked them. I thought he'd find them too buttery. Instead, he loved them and gave them a 9 out of 10 rating. Score!
- I loved these! The buttery crust just melts in your mouth. The citrus-y almond filling is delicious and the raspberry complimented the pastry wonderfully (I love almonds + raspberries together). And the toasted whole almond on top seals the deal. Really, I had little a party in my mouth going on!
- There were some tweaks that I made which can be found at the bottom of this blog post. Some highlights:
- Since I didn't have pastry flour, I used a substitution from The Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Basically, you use 2/3 all-purpose flour and 1/3 cake flour, by weight.
- Some ABC bakers had mentioned that the recipe was a tad too sweet, so I reduced the amount of sugar in the crust and used a mix of granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- In the almond paste, I used grapefruit zest instead of lemon zest. This worked really well.
- For a little surprise, I added a fresh raspberry to each Rondo.
- The original recipe can be found HERE.
- Please check out the other ABC bakers' results on the ABC blog.
(adapted from WeekendBakery.com)
Yields: 9 Rondo's
- 133 g all purpose flour
- 67 g cake flour
- 5 g baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 150 g cold butter in cubes
- 35 g granulated sugar
- 35 g dark brown sugar
- 1 recipe of almond paste
- 9 whole unblanched almonds
- egg wash for brushing tops (I used egg yolk beaten with some water and cream)
Almond Paste ingredients
- 75 g unblanched almond meal
- 75 g granulated sugar
- zest of 1/2 grapefruit
- little bit of water
- 1 large egg, beaten (added on "baking day")
Please follow the instructions on WeekendBakery.com.