|Doesn't that look soft and fluffy? :o)|
|Sixteen yummy rolls!|
This month's ABC recipe was a wonderful yeast recipe: Buttery Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls from The Weekend Baker by Abby Dodge. The recipe has a "plain" version (which is what I made), a poppy seed version, a black pepper/cheese version, and an herb version. All of the varieties are worth trying out sometime.
If you would like to join the ABC baking club, please email me at HanaasKitchen [at] live [dot] com. You can find more info about our baking club on the ABC blog.
Of course, I tweaked the recipe a little bit (sorry Abby). The recipe had a little too much fat for my liking and a little too much sugar (lots of unnecessary calories). My complete list of changes can be found at the bottom of this post.
All ingredients went into my bread machine, I turned on the Dough cycle and 90 minutes later, the dough was ready to be shaped into sixteen 60 gram rolls. The dough was such a pleasure to work with. It was so soft and supple, just a touch sticky, so I oiled my work surface (silicone pad) and my hands for easy handling. I prefer that over using flour to prevent the dough from absorbing the extra flour.
|After the dough cycle is complete|
|After shaping the rolls (brushed with a little oil)|
|After a 40 minute rise|
I baked them at 425 F for 5 minutes, and then lowered the temperature to 375 F and baked them for another 18 minutes. Next time, I'll bake them a couple minutes less because they were a little too brown for my taste.
|Just got brushed with melted butter|
|Awwww... look, they're kissing :o)|
- These rolls were so soft and fluffy. They were tasty as well. I had some plain, still warm from the oven, and some with butter. Yum! I'm definitely putting this recipe on my make-again (and again) list :o)
- I made a few changes to the recipe, like subbing 25% of the white flour with Whole Wheat flour. You can find all my changes at the bottom of this post.
- If you would like to try the original recipe, you can find it here on COOKSTR.
- Don't forget to check out how the other ABC bakers liked these super awesome rolls.
- This post has been submitted to Susan's weekly round-up of yeast recipes over at YeastSpotting.
Buttery Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls
(adapted from The Weekend Baker)
- 1 cup (8 fl ounces/233 ml) 1% milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water (or more), to obtain a soft, slightly sticky dough
- 2-1/2 tablespoons (1-1/4 ounces/35 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce/28 grams) vegetable oil
- 123 grams King Arthur Flour white whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 cup (345 grams) bread flour
- 23 grams (1/3 cup) non-fat dry milk powder
- 23 gram (1/3 cup) dried potato flakes (for instant mashed potatoes)
- 2 tsp (7 grams) instant yeast
- 28 grams (1 ounce) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 large egg