This week's SMS recipe, Raised Waffles with Warm Brown Sugar, was chosen by Lauren of Fried Pickles and Ice Cream. I had never tried yeasted waffles before so I was very much looking forward to making these. We got home from our trip last night. After a stop to the grocery store to get the ingredients I needed, I made the waffle batter. Although this was possibly the easiest recipe in the book, I managed to mess it up in so many ways. I'll spare you the *full* details of all my missteps but here are a few. I intended to make half the recipe and ended up having to make 1.5 times the recipe because I accidentally doubled the very first ingredient in the recipe; the water. I also didn't read the instructions carefully enough and so I added the eggs right away. After an hour or so, I decided that it wasn't a good idea to have raw eggs sit at room temperature for 8+ hours, so I put the batter in the fridge. I re-read the instructions and noticed the eggs needed to be added right before making the waffles. Bottom line: don't cook or bake on the day you return from vacation!!!
Made a Moroccan-style (yeasted) pancake; cooked on one side only. Aren't those holes pretty? Plenty of room for syrup or honey to soak in.
The good news is... the waffles tasted great!! After all my mishaps with this recipe, I decided not to make the brown-sugar-bananas. I served them with maple syrup and my friend's homemade apple butter. Beverage of choice for us in the morning is mint tea, made with homegrown mint. I froze leftover waffles.
- The waffles tasted great. They were light, crispy on the edges and soft in the middle.
- Used instant yeast which I added to the dry ingredients. Using instant yeast eliminates the proofing step required for active dry yeast.
- Added about 2 tsp of ground cinnamon to the batter for some flavor.
- Although I made 1.5 times the recipe, I used only 8 Tbsp of butter.
- Used 1/3 all-purpose flour and 2/3 bread flour.
- Thanks to Lauren for picking another great SMS recipe. You can find the recipe HERE.
- Don't forget to check out what the other SMS bakers thought of this recipe.