Ever since reading Vera's post on Homemade Ricotta Cheese, I've been wanting to give it a try. This week's SMS recipe could not have given me a better excuse to make it. I cut Vera's recipe in four which yielded 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp of ricotta. Although I used 2% milk, it turned out smooth, creamy and delicious. Would definitely make it again.
- Hubby is not a big fan of cheese but he still liked these apple pasties as the cheese flavor was not overwhelming. I gave one to a friend and she loved them too.
- Instead of egg wash I used the leftover egg white from the recipe and added 1/8 tsp of espresso powder to it. And I used water (as I’ve done many times before with turnovers) as glue. And instead of cinnamon sugar, I used a light sprinkling of raw sugar as I found the apple filling sweet enough as-is.
- I put the ricotta filling in a Ziploc bag and easily squeezed it onto each puff pastry square.
- The orange zest was a bit overpowering so next time I would use a bit less.
- Braeburn apples is all I had so I used them instead of Granny Smith apples. I would think that pears would work very well too.
- I baked my turnovers at 425F degrees for 20-25 minutes and skipped the 30-minutes refrigeration step. This allowed me to taste test them a bit sooner :o)