|My modified Kersenvlaai which turned out to be more like a sweet calzone :)|
ABC blog for more information.
I had some issues thickening the filling so upon combining the filling and the dough, it became one soupy mess, so I ended up folding half of the dough over the cherries, and pinching the dough seams together to prevent leakage. Well, that didn't really work too well and I ended up with a big sticky oven mess. Moral of the story is, the cherries in syrup I used and the arrowroot starch I subbed for the tapioca/potato starch just didn't work. You win some, you lose some, I guess :)
I have to admit that the dough was lovely, very soft and easy to work with. It was light and airy after baking too. The cherries themselves were very tasty. Somehow the "sauce" aspect just went terribly wrong. Will have to redo it sometime.
Don't forget to check out what the other ABC bakers did in April. The original recipe can be found HERE.